If you scratch a poison ivy rash, bacteria under your nails can cause the skin to become infected. See your doctor if pus starts to come out of the blisters. Inhaling urushiol can cause severe shortness of breath and inflammation of the lining of the lungs. The allergic reaction to poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac is usually contact dermatitis.
This can occur 24 to 72 hours after exposure. Dermatitis is characterized by itchy bumps and blisters. Sometimes swelling occurs in the contact area. Eventually, the blisters rupture, exude, and then crusts form.
Over-the-counter options can help treat poison oak, ivy, or sumac rashes if you know what to buy. If your rash is festering, you should apply aluminum acetate, aluminum sulfate, or calcium acetate. After a few days, the oozing blisters become crusts and begin to peel off. Poison ivy rash may begin within hours of contact or up to 5 days after contact.
It can take 2 to 3 weeks to heal. It has a rash and itching. This is a delayed reaction to the oils of the poison ivy plant. It's likely that you've been in contact with her for the 3 days prior to the onset of symptoms.
Your skin will turn red and itch. These can rupture and allow a clear yellow liquid to escape. The reaction usually starts to go away after 1 to 2 weeks. However, it may take 4 to 6 weeks for it to completely disappear.
Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac together cause more cases of allergic contact dermatitis than all other allergens combined. The resulting rash can range from mildly unpleasant to a true emergency with intense swelling, blistering, and oozing. Even with a moderate case, as you may have experienced, the itch can seem unbearable. Symptoms may occur a little differently for each person.
Symptoms most often include a red, irregular, itchy rash with fluid-filled blisters. The blisters rupture, ooze fluid, and then crust. The skin area may also be swollen. Swelling may mean that the allergic reaction is more serious.
If poison ivy is widespread or affects the skin around the eyes, be sure to consult your doctor. You scratch your elbow, wipe the sweat off your face, roll up your sleeves and, each time, you move a little poison ivy oil around your body. A rash occurs only where vegetable oil has been in contact with the skin, so a person with poison ivy cannot spread it through the body by scratching. You and the children stayed on the road, and they didn't see any poisonous oak or ivy, but your dog went to chase a bird.