Exposure to poison ivy can cause severe rash and itching, which are symptoms of contact dermatitis. The rash usually goes away without treatment, but home remedies, such as cold packs or calamine, can help control symptoms. Isopropyl alcohol can remove urushiol oil from skin and other surfaces. It's a good idea to bring alcohol wipes when hiking or camping to quickly apply them to the affected area after exposure to poison ivy.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reports that urushiol can stay on the surface of most items that come in contact with poison ivy, sometimes for years, unless a person treats it with alcohol or water. Oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl), can help reduce inflammation, itching, and rash. A pharmacist can advise appropriate options, as some types can cause drowsiness. Research suggests that the use of a modified version of bentonite clay (quaternium-18 bentonite) may help prevent or control contact dermatitis caused by poison ivy and oak.
The rash can cause serious discomfort, but home remedies can often help calm you. They include rubbing with alcohol, washing with warm water, and applying cold compresses. If these medicines don't relieve pain, your pharmacist may recommend over-the-counter medications. If symptoms persist or are severe, the person may need to talk to a doctor.
To relieve itching, take short, warm baths in a colloidal oatmeal preparation, which you can buy at the local pharmacy. You can also take a bath and add a cup of baking soda to running water. Taking short, cold showers can also help. After gently washing away poison ivy rash, there are some common treatments that are almost universally recommended.
More severe cases of poison ivy rash can be treated with corticosteroids or immunosuppressants as prescribed by a doctor. Louis, one of the most effective treatments for poison ivy is corticosteroids, usually oral rather than topical. Antihistamines are generally not used because they don't relieve itching caused by poison ivy dermatitis; however, antihistamines that cause sleep, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl), can help you sleep during itching. You probably don't need medical treatment for a poison ivy rash, unless it spreads widely, persists for more than a few weeks, or becomes infected.
The cream should be applied thickly to the entire skin less than an hour before exposure to a poison ivy plant. Finding poison ivy is easy in the United States, where it grows virtually everywhere except Alaska, Hawaii, and some desert areas of the southwest. A poison ivy rash usually goes away without medical treatment, but can cause severe discomfort until then. Poison ivy produces an oil called urushiol, which causes a rash in approximately 85 percent of people who come into contact with it, says the American Academy of Dermatology.
While working in the backyard, you pulled out some unwanted weeds before realizing one of them was poison ivy. If you touch a poison ivy plant with your hands, for example, and then touch your face or body, you'll see a rash both at the original point of contact and in the places you touched. You can also see characteristic blackheads on the plant, which is oxidized urushiol (the oil that causes the reaction to poison ivy plants). Naturally, you won't find these items the moment you need them in the mountains or in the woods, so if you're prone to poison ivy reactions or are visiting an area where you know you're likely to have an encounter, take note to buy and pack these products before your next outdoor adventure. Also be wary of visiting nature parks where tree lopping takes place.
Although some people are not sensitive to this oil and never have symptoms, most people experience a rash when touching poison ivy. The most effective way to prevent poison ivy dermatitis is to avoid the plant and learn to identify it by its appearance. .